The Tasmanian Portraiture Prize presented by RACT Insurance is a prestigious award for Tasmanian artists, aged 30 and under. The prize, which started in 2008, is open to artists across many disciplines, with past award recipients working in mixed media, print, photography, painting, video and drawing.
Tasmania’s premier portraiture award is the result of a highly successful partnership between RACT Insurance and Clemenger Tasmania. The objective of the award is to foster the development of emerging Tasmanian artists and provide an opportunity for the public to appreciate their talents.
Entrants are invited to produce a portrait of a living Tasmanian who is important to them. They must also provide an artist statement describing the inspiration and meaning behind the artwork.
As well as an opportunity to exhibit their works in a professional exhibition the award offers the following prizes:
- The winner will receive $5,000 and a trip for two to the Archibald Prize in Sydney
- The runner-up receives $2,000 to put towards studio rent
- The sponsors’ choice receives $500
- The people’s choice receives $500
- The packer’s prize receives $500